GRBackPro Backup Software: Version History
What's New in version 8.4.3?
- Fixed: using the zip compressor if there is a write error this could
be erroneously reported as disk full.
- Fixed: when including or excluding files or extensions a leading or
trailing space wasn't removed and lead to wrong behavior.
- Fixed: a not existent session could be found on the scheduler event
- Fixed: When pasting Jobs the sort operation was missing.
- Fixed: Memory eating problem when Restoring or Verifying a backup
- Fixed: If a Job source path no more exists and a Full backup is
programmed then an error is issued with a not correct path.
- Fixed: Crash when backing up a whole disk.
What's New in version 8.3.0?
- Added: Confirmation message before to delete a Scheduler Event.
- Added: Shield icon on the Backup button when the registry backup is
- Added: On the Report tab, operation activities list, by pressing
CTRL-C you can now copy the current log line to the clipboard.
- Changed: During a backup run the user can now enable or disable the
- Changed: The Progress Tab Status column has been modified to provide
more information about the file compression or copying method.
- Fixed: A beep happened when changing the destination to all Jobs or
when creating a new Job.
- Fixed: The column "Execution Order" in the Jobs tab wasn't being
- Fixed: When backing up the root folder of a disk then the
destination folder Bak_nn was being created with system and hidden
- Fixed: When editing a Scheduled Event the program issued an error
message instead of permitting the edit.
- Fixed: When restoring with Source = "Session folder" but the Folder
option is not empty then an incorrect error message was displayed.
- Fixed: When doing a FULL backup from a root drive to another root
drive and the Bak_sd option is OFF, an infinite loop was created while
trying to delete the root folder.
- Fixed: When the program becomes hidden at the end of a backup then a
crash could happen.
- Fixed: When using the single zip archive feature and file names have
Latin characters or special characters, the program would issue open
- Fixed: The "System Volume Information" folder was not being skipped.
When a full backup was run, deletion of this folder on the backup drive
- Fixed: When multiple Events are started in sequence and the
autostart feature is enabled the Scheduler will sometimes execute an
- Fixed: When creating Big Zip64 files with more than 65535 files
inside, the created zip archive has some parameters that don't match the
required field but the files are still recoverable (for example winrar
and winzip don't see any problem).
What's New in version 8.2.30?
- Added: In Backup simulation the delete operations are now being
reported (but not performed).
- Added: In the Add/Edit Event dialog some checks against invalid
settings were missing.
- Added: In the Scheduler dialog the Session name has been added to
easily handle the "At End Do" action.
- Changed: The backup and restore execution order are now controlled
by Jobs tab list order. The backup or restore will be executed in the
same order as the Jobs are listed.
- Changed: When the option "Windows Shadow Copy Services" in the
Backup tab is enabled, the program now shows the Backup button shield
icon indicating the program must run as Administrator.
- Fixed: On the Backup tab the last option of the "destination path
layout" named "HH.mm" wasn't correctly implemented.
- Fixed: On the Backup tab the last option of the "destination path
layout" named "mm (Minute number)" wasn't correctly implemented.
- Fixed: Conversion bug when converting from version 5 GRBakPro.grb
file to version 8 using the x64 version. This bug is not present in the
- Fixed: On the Jobs tab moving the items with the Move up and
Move down option could lead to Job duplication and / or Job loss.
- Fixed: When backup mode is Full and the source path of the Job
points to a folder with only sub-folders and no files, the destination
files were not deleted.
- Fixed: Under certain unusual circumstances the scheduler would fail
to start weekly events.
- Fixed: When created, the Destination folder didn't keep the source
- Fixed: When selecting "What to Restore" and the user chooses a name
different from $backup.zip then the Restore did not work.
- Fixed: On the Restore tab the line named "Session:" wasn't updating
if a restore was run immediately after another restore.
- Fixed: If Volume Shadow Copy did not start and the backup of a file
failed the destination file created was zero sized.
- Fixed: When a source folder has a zip file named for example
$backup.zip and you have compression enabled to $backup.zip then the
source archive was skipped.
- Fixed: The "At End Do" action in the Scheduler tab was getting
corrupted by changing tabs and/or Sessions.
What's New in version 8.2.0?
- Added: In the Message Center a warning when synchronization is on
and no files are included in a folder backup.
- Added: In the Report tab the Elapsed time has been added to the
Execution list items.
- Added: The Report tab, Execution list control has been
enhanced by adding colours to the 3 operations.
- Added: The Report tab, Execution list control text has been
modified to also show if the operation has been started by a scheduler
event or manually.
- Changed: The synchronization option now deletes files from
destination disk after the backup has been done if compressor is
- Changed: The Task Bar icon progress is now reset at the end of
backup / restore / verify to better indicate that the operation has been
- Fixed: When compression is enabled and specific files are
included and synchronization is active those files which had been
included and now were not were not being deleted.
- Fixed: The "Check for Updates" function failed to correctly
discover if the user is connected to the Internet.
- Fixed: The option "Skip predefined folder names" in the Adv.
Backup tab was not correctly saving the user selected folders.
- Fixed: When creating an email task, the "Execute" option to
send "always", "on error" or "if no error" was not available on first
creating the task. It was necessary to save the task and then edit it
before that option became available.
- Fixed: When Windows did an automatic shutdown there were cases
where Windows forced program termination prevented the program settings
from being saved.
- Fixed: When compressing, Unicode file names were not correctly
handled resulting in some files in the resulting archive being skipped.
- Fixed: On Windows XP the background was not correctly painted
when the program was resized many times quickly.
- Fixed: Scheduler weekly Event problem: some enabled days were
- Fixed: Scheduler Events: sometimes an event was added to the
execution queue while it was already under execution.
- Fixed: While copying files, the program incorrectly reported a
disk full condition.
- Fixed: On the Job tab the move up and move down function
- Fixed: The Scheduler tab Event list was not correctly updating
the last run time. The Column has been renamed to assist with correctly
identifying the Last Run Time.
- Fixed: When editing the condition for a Scheduled Event, the
"Execution Conditions" window was not updated until the next close/open
What's New in version 8.0.7?
- Fixed: The check for updates code erroneously handled the version
What's New in version 8.0.6?
- Fixed: Help file didn't open on x64 version.
- Fixed: Help button was wrongly handled and Exit button was missing
when running on Windows Server.
- Fixed: The version 7.5.x language extension DLL caused a
- Fixed: Sometimes the tray icon of the program disappears for
unknown reasons. This fix tries to recreate it when this happens.
- Fixed: under certain conditions the Scheduler Event CPU load
feature caused a crash.
- Fixed: when the Scheduler Event is set to wake up the PC and
the user manually wakes it up then the program failed to keep the PC
What's New in version 8.0.0?
- Windows 8 compatible.
- Windows Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) support both for x86 and x64
- New customizable colours with effects.
- Enhanced automatic software update.
- Added Sounds.
- Tasks tab re-designed to have a single list and execute Tasks even
- Enhanced setup handles updates of x86 software to x64.
- Added Windows Task Bar control features to show backup progress and
buttons to pause/resume/stop.
- New simplified backup Wizard.
- New Message Center to help program usage and allow the user to
- Minimum Windows version supported is XP.
- Rearranged some tab options to improve logic and ease of use.
- Added backup Jobs list icons.
- Removed empty Job list button.
- New Add/Edit Job dialog destination tree control.
- Various bug fixes.
What's New in version 7.5.98?
- Added: Icons on the scheduler tab that indicate whether the "force
full backup" flag is set or not, and whether the PC will wake-up for an
- Changed: You can now select a mapped folder (normally called a
hardware or software "link") as a destination folder.
- Changed: The automatic update has been simplified.
- Changed: Speeded up the "At end Do" option when the user selects
"shut down" or "reboot" after backup.
- Fixed: When backing up a root folder to a network root folder (e.g.,
\\PC\Shared) the program tried to create the network root folder
resulting to an error or a crash.
- Fixed: When using mounted disks path the program failed to detect
the free space on the real destination disk.
- Fixed: Under some circumstances, renaming a backup session could
cause the session to be deleted.
- Fixed: In the Scheduler tab, columns were sorting by date
- Fixed: The option "Do not create empty destination folders" in the
Adv. Backup tab failed to preserve empty folders.
- Fixed: The Zip compressor with filenames using special characters
like the TM or the Euro symbols failed to preserve a correct Unicode
- Fixed: The Task that closes a specified process was taking too long
- Fixed: The alternate zip file name option in the Backup tab had no
effect, meaning the zip file name was always $backup.zip.
What's New in version 7.5.68?
- Fixed: When creating a new destination folder in the Add/Edit Job
dialog the program failed to accept the user typed name.
- Fixed: The license system could very rarely crash the program at the
end of a backup or verify.
- Fixed: When running as a Service and a Windows shutdown forced the
program to quit then the main window position were not properly saved.
- Changed: When you manually start a backup all events that have the
current session on the execution list will now have the Last Run time
- Fixed: The Add Event wrongly assigned the Event number and this
could (rarely) corrupt the Event at position zero.
- Added: On notebooks the wake-up timers are normally off (found in
"power settings") preventing software from waking up the computer.
GRBackPro is now able to enable theses timers in order to wake up the PC
at the programmed Scheduler Event times and will restore these settings
when the backup is finished.
- Added: On the Scheduler tab, an Event that is enabled is now
- Fixed: Crash when changing the destination folder name on the
Add/Edit Job dialog.
What's New in version 7.5.50?
- Fixed: The PC woke up even if no events had the 'wake-up' option
- Fixed: When the option "Do not create empty destination folders" was
enabled and the backup method was "Archive bit" there were erroneous
"path not found" errors.
- Fixed: Zip archives were still being built with comments inside.
- Fixed: If using the "Build a Single zip archive" option together
with "Do not create empty destination folders" the program crashed.
- Fixed: When creating destination folders with network path names
longer than 260 characters, the program could occasionally crash.
- Fixed: When running as a Service, Tasks defined to be executed at
backup end were executed under the SYSTEM account if no user is logged
- Fixed: The message "Disable Virtualization failed..." is no longer
shown in Program.log if running under Windows XP.
- Fixed: The Dupl. & Edit button edited the job instead of duplicating
and then editing.
- Fixed: Setting an "At end do:" command in the Progress tab did not
override the specific Adv. Backup tab setting.
- Fixed: The date and time of destination folders were recorded as the
date and time of the backup instead of as the source date and time, even
if the option "Create Destination folder with the Source date and time"
- Fixed: On the Wizard the program failed to create a new destination
folder using the popup menu (right click).
What's New in version 7.5.20?
- Added: When the backup is paused then the program icon now changes
to one with a || sign indicating it is paused.
- Added: Italian, German and French translation packages.
- Changed: When there are scheduler events enabled and the user tries
to exit or to press the upper right [x] the program now hides instead of
showing a message box.
- Fixed: When Windows Explorer was set to not show extensions for
known files then the Restore Explorer failed to list .zip files.
- Fixed: When using the tray icon bar menu selection "Backup and
Shutdown Windows" the program crashed.
- Fixed: The option "Skip predefined folder names" was always active
even if disabled.
- Fixed: If the Scheduler started a backup while you were editing a
single job then the Job would be missing.
What's New in version 7.5.13?
- Added: Simple mode has been added to hide the advanced options that
many users don't need. The user can easily switch between the modes at
any time, and changes made to "Advanced" options will remain set in
Simple mode. The intent is to provide a simplified, easier-to-use
interface while still keeping available all the options that make
GRBackPro so flexible and powerful.
- Added: Added a Message Center to help users find potential
problems and to receive messages during operation
- Added: Set Factory Default button in the Options tab to allow
user to reset all options to a known state
- Added: On the Scheduler tab the Events list is now sortable.
- Changed: Changed the tabs layout in order to support
- Changed: Report tab has been renamed to Reports
- Changed: Simplified the “Restore What” options in the Restore
- Changed: Replaced most Message Boxes with less intrusive
- Changed: Modified the “Skip predefined folder names” option in
order to allow the user to select what folder names are to been skipped
- Changed: Changed the Tabs order. The Schedule tab has been
moved to beside the Progress tab. It is now possible to view the
Schedule list even when a backup is running.
- Changed: When a user specifies a command line .grb file to use
and the file does not exist or the path is malformed then the program
now asks if you want to quit or continue using the default .grb file.
- Changed: On the Edit Job dialog, when the user selects the
option "Include all sub-folders" a warning is displayed to advise that
this option works at run time.
- Changed: When using the single zip feature the option "Do not
create empty destination folders" has been implemented and enabled in
the Adv. Backup tab.
- Changed: The Zip archives are now built without comments
- Removed: Removed some old and unused options
- Removed: Event to start a backup at Windows shutdown has been
removed to comply with the new Windows 7 rules
- Removed: “Exclude files before day” option has been re-mapped
to include file younger than N days.
- Removed: The option to save the backup definition file
GRBakpro.grb has been removed and it is now always active.
- Removed: The option to create the source folder file list
($backup.dir) has been removed and the file is no more created.
- Removed: The Zip filename post string has been removed from
the Backup tab. The program converts these options to the corresponding
one of the destination layout first combo box.
- Removed: On the Restore tab, the edit box that lets the user
type a zip archive filename and related buttons ">>" and "Default" has
been removed. These options have been replaced by a combo box that is
similar to the Backup tab combo box.
- Removed: Option "Exclude files before day A, month B, year C"
has been removed from the Adv. Backup tab. Dates not older than 2999
days have been automatically converted to the option "Include files"
younger than X days in the Backup tab.
- Fixed: If the user has defined an access password and also
selects to start hidden then he will not be asked to enter the password
at program start.
- Fixed: The Ask Support email size limit was not being
correctly checked and thus email was sent even if the resulting message
was too big.
- Fixed: The program update advisor dialog was missing the
program name and icon.
- Fixed: The "Abort" button was not functioning correctly while
deleting files and folders during a Full backup.
- Fixed: When the user enabled the option "Move the files to the
destination folder(delete source)" a warning message was issued at
every program start instead of only one time.
- Fixed: When the option to "Build a single zip archive with
stored path names" was active the Restore of that archive failed.
- Fixed: On the Add/Edit Event dialog the date and time controls
have been made more precise and easier to set.
- Fixed: When the option "Warn if a backup was executed more
than N days" was active and no backup had been run since installation,
then the program issued a warning with a value greater than 15000 days.
- Fixed: Depending on previous version settings, the Restore tab
option "What to Restore" could be not selected. In addition, it would
generate a Restore error of "path name too long".
What's New in version 7.4.1?
- Fixed: Under certain circumstances, when running as a Service and a
dialog was open, the program was taking more than 50% CPU time.
- Fixed: When doing a search on a big log in the Report tab the wait
dialog didn't automatically close.
- Fixed: On the Add/Edit Job dialog, when creating a sub-folder
without first expanding the associated folder, an endless loop was
- Fixed: The scheduler function to repeat every hour, day or month
failed to start the first time (you needed to manually start it).
- Changed: On the Report tab the rotating icon when scanning the log
has been increased in size and the wait dialog has been removed.
- Fixed: When trying to change the zip compression level using the up
and down arrows the program crashed.
- Fixed: Some oddities using the "include all sub-folders" and the
check box status.
- Fixed: In the Add/Edit dialog the "Libraries" item was not shown.
- Fixed: An error message has been added when the user selects a
source folder that doesn't have a corresponding real path.
- Added: Warning message when using a single zip with split and more
than one Job is defined.
- Added: Log entry for skipped files that are older than a specified
- Fixed: The option "Exclude files older than" in the Adv. Backup tab
was not working properly.
- Changed: The Add/Edit Job dialog is now faster than in previous
- Changed: When the single zip option is active and the Split mode is
active all the zip parts are now stored into the same destination
- Fixed: SSL protocol has been updated so that the connections to
native SSL SMTP servers like gmail.com now succeeds at first attempt.
- Fixed: Restoring or Verifying multi file zip archives (built with
the single zip option) sometimes generated CRC errors.
- Fixed: When deleting folders from the destination tree in the
Add/Edit Job dialog a crash could happen.
- Added: New option in the Job tab popup menu to edit and set the
destination path to all jobs or selected ones.
- Changed: French, German and Italian translations have been updated.
What's New in version 7.3.15?
- Fixed: Crash when trying to test the email options from the Options
tab, "Email Options" button dialog.
- Fixed: Scheduler event with wake-up - there was the possibility to
miss an event if the PC goes to sleep too near a scheduler event start
- Fixed: The backup of the program settings file GRBakPro.grb was
being done after the logoff when running as a Service. Thus if the
destination path was a network folder it failed. The timing of this
backup has now been changed to prevent this problem.
- Fixed: In rare situations, pressing the Abort button during a backup
execution could cause an infinite program loop.
- Added: On the Scheduler tab, when the focus is on the Event
list pressing the Enter key will open the edit box for the Event.
- Fixed: On the Single File Restore Explorer if the zip archive
has any errors and you tried to restore a file from inside it no error
message appeared and the operation appeared to be correctly and
- Fixed: When restoring using the option "What to restore" set
to "Copy all files" the program failed to restore new files.
- Fixed: There were some situations where a disk full condition
was erroneously reported as "Aborted by the user" at backup end, even if
the report showed an error.
- Fixed: GRBackPro was set to an excessively broad definition
for "Registry Files" and when "Skip Registry Files" was set some files
were being skipped that should not have been.
- Fixed: The Scheduler was rounding up seconds and thus a backup
could be executed twice if the backup duration was under one minute.
- Added: New Service Administration dialog. Appears when a copy
installed as a Service is running a backup and you run a second copy of
- Fixed: If a Session name contains commas or semicolons then
the program fails to schedule these sessions correctly. A test has been
added to disallow those symbols from the session name.
- Fixed: The Report "Operation activities" list sometimes showed
"Nothing to Display" while in reality there were lines to display.
- Fixed: Some errors were being reported correctly on the Report
tab but the error count was not being incremented.
- Changed: German, French and Italian translations.
- Added: The "Abort" button is now available while Tasks that
happen at backup start are running.
- Fixed: When using the Export button on the Report tab the
program would write a corrupted log report file or hang.
- Added: A button to reset the license on the about dialog.
- Added: SSL both native or TLS support has been added to send
out email messages. Helpful if you want to use gmail.com for example.
- Added: The service installation now supports user access
specification using the file GRSrv.ini file: see help file for more
- Changed: Service user interface now follows policy. A user's
UI access will be retained even if another user logs in. The UI will
switch to another user only when the first one logs off.
What's New in version 7.2.21?
- Added: The Add/Edit and the Select Path dialogs now show icons as
dimmed, shared or link overlay (as appropriate).
- Changed: During a backup if the option to verify the backed up
archives was active then it was erroneously executed even if there were
- Fixed: The Windows 7 Professional version was being incorrectly
identified in log entries.
- Fixed: The status of VSS was being incorrectly reported in the log.
- Fixed: Certain kinds of delete errors were not properly logged.
- Fixed: Some hidden folders were not shown in the Add/Edit Job dialog
(e.g., the AppData folder). This folder is now visible while links are
still filtered out (not shown).
- Fixed: The log would display strange characters when a zip archive
- Fixed: An error in the Restore/Verify analysis phase was not
correctly reported in the progress tab.
- Fixed: When Verifying or Restoring and the Bak_sd option is active
in the Backup tab then the Verify/Restore wasn't performed if the backup
source was not ready. Additionally, the operation didn't show any error.
- Fixed: On the Progress tab, when horizontally scrolling, the
vertical lines were not properly cleared.
- Fixed: Minor cosmetic adjustments to the screen layout.
- Fixed: When there were too many items in the program tab list,
the program failed to abort the operation and thus the user got an
infinite sequence of error messages.
- Fixed: When the "Verify after backup" option was enabled but
the backup had errors then the program failed to execute any tasks set
in the Tasks tab.
- Fixed: Under certain circumstance the automatic update at
program start could cause a crash.
- Fixed: When using the single zip feature the program failed to
delete the backup file if the backup method was set to "full".
- Fixed: When a new version is found the program asks if you
want to upgrade. If you answer No then the program could crash.
What's New in version 7.2.8?
- Added: Italian DLL first release.
- Added: German DLL first release.
- Added: French DLL first release.
- Changed: Moved option "Test if Src and Dest file have same
date but different size" from Options tab to Backup tab. The option has
been also renamed to "Display Error if Source and Destination files have
same date but different sizes" for a better understanding of the related
- Changed: Moved option "Test if Src and Dest file have same
date but different attributes" from Options tab to Backup tab. The
option has been also renamed to "Force Backup even if Source and
Destination files have different attributes" for a better understanding
of the related program action.
- Changed: The above two options are now at session level rather
than at global as before. This means that every backup session can now
have different settings.
- Fixed: Bug when loading a foreign language DLL.
- Fixed: Report tab flickering when clicking on the "Only
Errors" button and no errors lines were present.
- Fixed: Report tab went into an infinite loop when handling a
damaged log file.
- Fixed: When the option "Test if Src and Dest files have the
same date but different size" or the option ""Test if Src and Dest files
have the same date but different attributes" or both were active the
program failed to correctly test the "same date".
- Fixed: When trying to restore a specified source path but that
path was empty the program didn't display an error.
- Fixed: When trying to restore to specified destination path
but that path was empty the program didn't display an error.
- Fixed: If the user tried to run a Restore and was at the
Restore confirmation dialog and GRBackPro scheduler started a backup,
then when the user press OK to start the Restore the program crashed.
- Fixed: During a Verify operation the Progress tab displayed
"(0) file(s) verified" instead of the correct value, although it was
actually doing the Verify correctly.
- Fixed: Under certain unusual circumstances a license check
could randomly fail due to an internal delay.
- Fixed: Occasionally a file could not be backed up due to a
wrong date and time calculation.
- Fixed: In order to extend zip archive software compatibility
the zip archive OS flag has been set to zero.
- Fixed: On some occasions Unicode file name were backed up more
than once into the same zip archive.
- Fixed: When the file name contains Latin characters such as
òàùèéì the file name was not properly handled inside the zip archive
leading to possible errors.
- Fixed: When printing the log to PDF from the Report tab, the program
would appear to hang if the log size was greater than about 300MB.
What's New in version 7.1.1?
- Fixed: Italian DLL was missing empty selections for "JobSrc\" and
"Bak_sd" combo boxes.
- Fixed: In Backup tab, when all destination layout options are
blanks (except the $backup.zip) then the full backup method erroneously
deleted the destination root disk.
- Added: DEP Data Execution Prevention has been enabled.
- Fixed: When running as a Service and switching users while a backup
was running a security problem occurred that prevented the backup
- Changed: When the user edits or creates a Job source or destination
path from the Job tab popup menu and the path is not available then a
warning message is issued but the path is retained. This now allows the
user to input a path that is not available yet.
- Fixed: The program was executing some unnecessary tasks when
starting, causing long start times.
- Fixed: When using big log files (greater than 100MB) the program was
slow to display the hourglass cursor when clicking on the execution list
- Changed: A new error message: when the program needs to delete
folder trees (full backup method) and an error occurs, there is now an
"ignore" button with a 20 second timeout that automatically "ignores"
the problem and allows the backup to continue.
- Fixed: When compressing Unicode file names the zip compressor failed
to find duplicate entries in the zip archive.
- Fixed: Restore of Unicode file names was wrong on certain
- Added: A "Waiting" dialog message box has been added on the Report
tab when searching for text or when searching next or previous error.
- Fixed: When backing up "NTFS security attributes" the program
failed sometimes due to a missing memory alignment.
- Fixed: When backing up a whole source disk the program failed
to correctly build the destination paths.
- Added: On the Backup tab in Destination Path combo box a new
option to add "Odd Day" or "Even Day" folder based on current day value.
- Fixed: With a large number of backup Sessions and/or Jobs
(approximately 100), the program crashed due to a buffer overflow.
- Fixed: The option "At backup end do" was not properly handled
when if the backup is started by the Scheduler in a backup session
different from the curenlty selected one.
- Added: Conditional execution for Scheduler Events. Now you can
start a backup conditioned to one of the following: 1. All backup
session Job's source and estimation path are available, 2. There is user
input (Mouse and keyboard) for more than a specified time amount, 3. The
CPU Load has been under a specified percent level for more than a
The condition can be programmed to be retried every X
minutes and for a maximum of Y minutes.
- Added: Stop button on the Scheduler tab in order to Stop an
Event waiting for a condition to be met.
- Added: For the Event "Start At" set to "Program run" a delay has
been added so that the Event is triggered after the specified time
- Added: Notes (user comments) on the Job tab at Session level.
- Added: New option to enable or disable the Windows Volume Shadow
Copy Services. This option is not yet supported on 64 bit systems.
- Fixed: Program crash when Restoring and the zip archive has an UTF-8
Unicode extension file name.
- Fixed: The program erroneously considered as a Unicode file name any
name that had a character other than one of the standard 128 ASCII
characters. For example, the characters èéòàùì were being considered as
- Fixed: When selecting the value for the auto start delay, the arrow
functions were reversed.
- Fixed: When backing up the registry with the "Backup Security
Attributes (NTFS only)" option was enabled in the Adv. Backup tab, the
program would sometimes fail a copy operation.
- Fixed: Bug when handling Unicode path names during the delete
operation of a full backup.
- Fixed: When running as a Service, the log resize operation was
opening a temporary file in the current Windows directory instead of the
default Windows directory.
- Fixed: Several minor cosmetic issues.
- Added: At "backup end" an option to Restart.
- Added: Blinking text on the progress tab when a Backup simulation or
Restore simulation operation is under execution. The blinking is also
used to signal a log resize operation, since that can be a long
operation if the specified log size is high.
- Changed: The splash screen display has been rescheduled to happen
before the main screen appears and now is centered on the desktop.
- Changed: The backup start time has been reduced thus avoiding the
long wait and white progress screen.
- Changed: When a task is set that kills a process it will now kill
all invocations of a process with that name.
- Added: "Please Wait" dialog when switching to the Report tab. A big
backup log file requires more time to open this tab and the program
would appear hung during this scan. The "Please Wait" dialog is also
shown when changing between items in the "execution list".
- Fixed: The speed of program startup and of various operations has
- Fixed: If running as a Service the program failed to save main
window position and size when the computer shutdown.
- Fixed: When installed as a Service, some situations would require
user input before a backup could continue. These situations have been
altered to have appropriate default responses and automatic time-outs in
order that scheduled events can proceed as the user intended.
- Fixed: When restoring from Source / Folder and Destination =
"Original source folder" the program failed to correctly create the
- Changed: The Report tab has been modified to increase the
What's New in version 7.1.X?
- DEP Data Execution Prevention has been enabled.
- A "Waiting" dialog message box has been added on the Report tab when
searching for text or when searching for previous error.
- On the Backup tab in Destination Path combo box a new option to add
"Odd Day" or "Even Day" folder based on current day value.
- Conditional execution for Scheduler Events. Now you can start a
backup conditional to one of the following:
1. The Job's source and
destination paths are all available,
2. No user input (mouse or
keyboard) for a specified time,
3. The CPU Load has been under a
specified percent level for more than a specified time.
can be retried every X minutes and for a maximum of Y minutes.
- Added Notes (user comments) on the Job tab at Session level.
- Stop button on the Scheduler tab in order to Stop an Event
waiting for a condition to be met.
- For the Event "Start At" set to "Program run" a delay has been
added so that the Event is triggered after the specified time amount.
- New option to enable or disable the Windows Volume Shadow Copy
Services. Shadow copy service is not yet supported on 64 bit systems.
- At "backup end" an option to Restart the computer.
- Blinking text on the progress tab when a Backup simulation or
Restore simulation operation is under execution. The blinking is also
used to signal a log resize operation, since that can be a long
operation if the specified log size is high.
- Startup and various operations speed has been improved.
- Added a "Waiting" dialog when switching to the Report tab. A
big backup log file requires more time to open this tab and the program
was apparently hung. The wait dialog is also shown when changing the
item in the "execution list".
- The Report tab has been totally rewritten in order to support
a number of improvements in speed and to enhance performance options.
- Improved setup when passing from Service installation to not Service
installation and vice versa.
- Many minor fixes.
What's New in version 7.0.30?
- Fixed: Folder creation failed when backing up to a UNC path name
folder greater than 258 characters.
- Fixed: If a Task sent an email message with the last backup run
report attached, and an error occurred creating the file (for example,
access denied), then the program crashed.
- Fixed: The Tray Icon bar icon could show the scheduling message and
icon for too long.
- Fixed: When the user selected Exit from the Tray icon there was no
warning about the Scheduler needing to have the program running.
- Fixed: The setup procedure now correctly sets the security on the
GRBackPro data folder.
- Fixed: After first installation if the user had already enabled
automatic software updates then the program asked again if the user
wanted to enable automatic updates.
- Fixed: Reworded "Check all weekdays" to "Check all days" in the
Add/Edit Scheduler Event so that it is clearer that all 7 days will be
- Added: Italian DLL.
- Fixed: Deleting a backup session on the Job tab caused the program
- Added: The Open, Read, Create, Write and Not Ready errors have been
enhanced with the addition of an Abort button and a "Disable these error
messages (put errors in log only)" check box.
- Fixed: When using the Split mode with many small files compared to a
few big files then GRBackPro failed to correctly split the folders with
the specified size.
What's New in version 7.0.24?
- Fixed: With access password enabled, when exiting the program
(without entering a password) after clicking on Cancel, you needed to
click the Exit button twice.
- Fixed: When starting "hidden" the program failed to hide itself
completely -- the task bar showed a flashing icon.
- Fixed: Due to a buffer calculation error the program could crash if
handling a corrupted log file.
- Fixed: When converting from version 5 GRB file, the option "On
Manual backup completion do:" was not correctly handled if it had been
- Fixed: When the "Execute missed backups" option is active in the
Scheduler tab and a weekly Event is added then it started every day even
if programmed to start on a specified week day only.
- Fixed: Wrong handling of Scheduler Event Monthly when option
"Execute missed backups" is active.
- Fixed: The setup failed to properly assign security attributes to
GRBackPro data folders and in some cases this could lead to losing user
settings or the license code.
- Fixed: The access password was incorrectly saved in the current
backup session settings with the result that if you changed the backup
session the access password became inactive.
- Added: More diagnostic details for the Ask Support feature in the
What's New in version 7.0.18?
- Fixed: The Wizard Job Options dialog, Include / Exclude files option
always included files.
- Fixed: The Wizard Source path dialog option "Include all
sub-folders" didn't show the sub-folders selected when activated.
- Added: In the Wizard Destination path selection the right
click popup menu to create/rename/delete folders.
- Fixed: The Backup button shield icon was not updated when you
changed the backup session.
- Fixed: Bug where if the single zip option was active some
files were backed up repeatedly.
- Fixed: If running as a Service the program failed to download
the Server package update.
- Fixed: When using UNC names in the JobSrc\ option in the
Backup tab, some folders were not correctly backed up to the destination
- Fixed: Option "Delete empty source folders after move" in the
Adv. Backup tab was not yet activated.
- Added: Diagnostic about Backup options in the backup log if
log mode is "Debug".
- Fixed: A file with size zero was not excluded.
- Fixed: "Reparse points" were not skipped when using the single
What's New in version 7.0.13?
- Fixed: The tab control user interface item because it caused a delay
on all operations.
- Fixed: When user press the "Check for Updates" button and there
isn't internet connection the wait dialog simply disappeared instead to
show an error message.
- Fixed: If the Service encountered an error it failed to show the
description and only showed the error number.
- Changed: The "Email Options" dialog now automatically fills in the
"Send To" field with the "Sender Email address" and the "SMTP Server"
with the "Sender Email address" domain name.
- Fixed: If the Scheduler Event called for First Friday of a month it
failed to calculate the correct next start date.
- Fixed: The log resize algorithm that caused log file corruption in
- Fixed: Removed spurious entry in the log when a Verify operation is
- Fixed: Version 6 scheduled weekly and daily events were not being
converted correctly to Version 7 format.
- Fixed: Somtetimes the taskbar icon was not correct after a backup
What's New in version 7.0.10?
- Fixed: If destination drive is not ready and GRBackPro is running
attended then the Error message would loop forever if the user did not
press the Cancel button. A maximum of 10 loops has been added then the
retry loop is automatically closed.
- Fixed: On some installations the program failed to retain the user
license and even the user settings.
- Fixed: Single zip archive bug generated a recursive folder name
appended to the destination path while adding files.
- Fixed: When the single zip archive option is enabled the program
failed to skip files.
- Added: When a backup is started by the Scheduler all error messages
now have a timeout of 10 seconds.
- Fixed: Possible problem running as a Service if the Terminal
Services are not yet started.
- Fixed: The message box that asks if the user wants to enable
automatic updates was automatically closed if GRBackPro was starting
- Changed: The Libraries are no longer listed in the folder tree
because they do not have a direct corresponding path name meaning that
selecting them is not meaningful.
What's New in version 7.0.7?
- Fixed: Crash bug if error happens when trying to compress the log
file in the Ask Support feature
- Fixed: Scheduling error handling the weekly event recur parameter.
- Fixed: Removed Crash Test button from the Options tab
- Fixed: Selecting a long destination path resulted in a wrong path if
the Add/Edit Job dialog was small.
- Fixed: When restoring and "copying all files" the program didn't
restore any file. It only created the folders.
- Fixed: When updating the software on Windows Server it downloaded
the Workstation package.
What's New in version 7.0.4?
- New customizable look and feel
- Windows 7 security full support
- REQUIRES minimum Windows XP or Windows Server 2003
(older Windows version requires to install version 6.6.x)
- Separated Workstation and Server editions
- Server edition can run as a Service
- Zip64 archive format with unicode file names support
- Unicode file names supported when copying
- New Tasks tab
- New Task to end a process
- Windows Volume Shadow Copy support
- Long path names supported up to 1024 characters
- New Scheduler completely rewritten with more options
- Automatic software updater
- Added new move option to delete empty folders after move
- Added option to execute at windows start in the Options tab
- New error messages with automatic retry capability